background

Sunday, February 15, 2015

DIY: $25 Coat Hanger

Unlike most men, my ball and chain prefers to see what I want to hang on the walls before I do so. This is sweet, but his standards can be pretty pesky. I came up with this coat hanger to combat our mini-closets. This is really for our guests to use so when they walk in our door immediately know where their coat can hang while we visit.

It all began with a trip to Hobby Lobby. I bought the hook backboard for $6 and each hook was $6 - $7. I used my 40% off coupon (off a regular priced item) which you can easily use on the CouponSherpa app. We could have drilled these little hooks into the wall, but it would have resulted in 8 holes that weren't anchored or sturdy. This backing added stability. Plus, it's easy to remove if I ever want to relocate it.

Laying your idea out before starting, helps your project look more thought out.

I started by painting the back board with a white craft paint I had in my stash. I didn't paint it completely and left some of the wood exposed on the edges. This made it look distressed without sanding.

                          

Next, my handy man helped me screw the hooks into place. We 'eyed' the measurements which was really hard for him, but I savored the compromise. The outer hooks were porcelain. Said helper didn't realize how fragile it was, so after he cracked the outer hook, I had to get creative with the glue.




We finished by adding three sawtooth hangers to the back before measuring against the wall and hanging it in place.






It's that easy! Thanks for stopping by the Humble Hammock, please come back for a visit :)

Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment