background

Friday, January 2, 2015

Budget: Christmas Decor

Getting Christmas décor on the cheap is a specialty of mine. Sure, everyone flees to the big box stores after the holidays to grab next years wreaths and lights, maybe even wrapping paper, but there are better places to find those one of a kind décor items. You know…antique stores.




A couple of years ago I was in French Lick, Ind. and found myself sauntering around the small town looking for something I couldn’t live without. For more on that trip click here. Anyway, vintage Christmas decorations are my second weakness (first being Brownie Cameras). While browsing, I stumbled upon a glorious box of ornaments that were unmatched in detail, color, size and shape to anything I had ever seen. 





They’re stunning, right? They were marked for $6 each ($30 for all) but when I approached the counter I did one better than to haggle. One thing you’ll learn about owners of antique stores is that they’re just as interesting as most of the items within the walls. Smile, greet the owner and LISTEN. They’ll talk and talk (make sure you have time for this) about the ‘old days’ and how ‘things aren’t made like they used to be.’ They’ll tell you about their kids, the town and probably a little history about what you’re buying. After you’ve learned more than all of your history classes combined from grade school to college, see what they’ll do on the price. I walked out with these beauties for $20. 

Now, off of my vintage soapbox, here are some items that are from a box store (sorry, there are some vintage pieces too) and how I’ve used them to decorate. I’ve approximated the cost and location of the purpose for your post-Christmas thrifting game plan!






Finally, to top off my holiday pieces, by request, here is the tree skirt and stockings that my grandma made for me. They were inspired by Pinterest and are probably my most cherished Christmas items. 




Thanks for stopping by the Humble Hammock! Do come back :)
Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment