background

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

DIY Edition: Recipe Cards

Recently I went shopping for some good ol' fashioned recipe cards.

Now I know that you can get these online through easy and print your cards at home. I also know that you can head over to your Grandma's house and dig around for some extras, circa 1952. But I can promise you that after hitting two Hobby Lobby stores, two Jo Ann Fabric locations, Wal-Mart, Target, and the Dollar Tree that there were only two sets of cards I was able to find. They were not only ugly, but drastically overpriced at $11 for 20 cards.

My fix: hit Jo Ann Fabrics when they're having their annual paper sale and use their scrapbook paper to make my own cards. At seven sheets for $1 you can't really go wrong, now can you?

I chose two patterns that were within the same color scheme and then a textured backing for my recipe to reside. I strayed away from white since many of my cooking experiences have left books and cards covered in meal remnants.

Jo Ann Fabric offered great selection for this DIY!

These 12x12 sheets provided six 4x6 cards. I bought seven flowered sheets, seven chevron sheets and fourteen tan sheets. That equates to (14x6) 84 cards.

It would be unfair to tell you how quick this option is. I spent a good afternoon just measuring and cutting. But think about it - these will be in your kitchen for the remainder of your cooking career. Do you really want to cut corners? Maybe you do and if so, I recommend checking out those etsy options. I just didn't want to spend even more money adding ink to my printer and buying a whole pack of paper. That gets pricey.

I splurged on a stamp for the back (by splurged, I spent $2.99 - full price!) and drew the instruction lines with a ruler. I dolled up the back with a strip of glitter tape from Meijer (this came from a large roll that I cut down for my needs) and called it a day.


Total cost for these beauties was $5.99 and a little DIY time. And now, I'll be cooking in style!

Thanks for stopping by the Humble Hammock and looking around; do come back!

Cara

P.S. - How could these recipe cards be even better?



2 comments:

  1. Love this! I recently used some old scrapbook paper to write out two of my favorite recipes. My paper isn't as cute as what you were able to snag. I put each of the recipes in nice frames I purchased from Ikea for about $1. Now they are ready to hang in my kitchen where I don't have to hunt for the recipe. I just need the husband to help with the hammer. (I can't be trusted!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I bet for those with back splashes that you could simply hot glue a suction cup to the back of the frames to adhere them to the wall. You could use those command strips and take matters into your own hands too :) Ikea does have good finds - thanks for mentioning the frames. I wonder if the frames may also look cute in various sizes. They would be excellent for keeping recipes clean!

    ReplyDelete