background

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DIY Edition: Recycled Canvas Art

A few summers ago I took an oil painting class. Needless to say, I was no Claude Monet and after a reasonable amount of time had passed I was stuck with five ugly canvases and no desire to pick up a paint brush again. Painting, like many hobbies, is expensive. I wasn't about to throw away $50+ of canvases.
Earlier in the summer I’d hit the crafter’s jackpot while helping my Grandma clean out her breezeway. She gave me a large paper shopping bag full of retro fabrics. I dug through it until I found something a bit tame on the eyes, and began measuring it for my latest craft; fabric wrapped canvases.

I laid the canvas on top of the fabric and cut it so that there was about an inch remaining along the parameter of the canvas. The fabric I chose had a pattern, so I had to be careful to line it up well before cutting. I then laundered the fabric, ironed it, and began to hot glue it to the wooden frame. Working slowly, I did the longer side first and then moved to the opposite side.  This kept the pull even and made sure that the fabric was equal on all sides.

This is what the finished product should look like.

 For the corners, I folded the fabric neatly and glued with each crease. That way there wouldn't be a bulkiness against the wall in case I ever decided to hang them with a nail. Taking time on this step was pertinent to making sure it looked clean and smooth.

Take your time on those corners!

Once complete, I placed the new "canvas” on my mantle and accessorize with other decor. When I tire of it I can simply choose a new fabric to wrap it in, add a monogrammed letter, or show off my terrible painting :/.

Here's the final product with some other decor.

If I’d have bought the materials for this project it would have cost about $10-$12. If you’d like alternative variations of this project comment below and I’d be happy to brainstorm! For more decor ideas check out my other posts on DIY Edition: [Home Decor] and Kitchen Whisks Worth Taking.

Thanks for stopping by the Humble Hammock and looking around; do come back!

Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment