background

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Deal or No Deal

Sometimes our wallets need a break. If we paid full price for everything we couldn't sustain livelihood; or maybe we could, we'd just be in lots and lots of debt. Debt becomes more terrifying than the monster under your bed ever was, and you quickly find that looking for deals and scraping around for bargains is as important for survival as hunting buffalo was for settlers of the United States.

I like to think that the deals I find aren't by coincidence - they're instinctual. Knowing what days are best for sales and staying out of stores on those other days is critical. NEVER have I EVER paid full price for anything and today you're going to find that you won't have to either. Let's start with my favorite bargain spots and what I get there.
  • Kohl's carries home decor and an array of clothing and accessory options. I love the LC Lauren Conrad line as well as Vera Wang, but sometimes the prices are a bit steep. Of course you can spend $50 and get $10 in Kohl's cash, but there are BETTER ways to save, people. Swallow your pride and hit the 60-80% off rack. Start there and you won't get into as much trouble. Now, once you've fallen in love with a few things, open the Coupon Sherpa app [referenced below] and find a coupon. I know Kohl's pitches these credit cards in store and I vowed never to succumb to getting one. Instead, I signed up for the Kohl's rewards program and get lots of great coupons through email.
  • Dollar Tree [Yes, that place where all kinds of poor people go to get whatever poor people get]. Get over yourself - the Dollar Tree has lots of good finds for a fraction of the price of wholesale giants AND you can shop online. My favorite items include: holiday decorations, cards, wrapping + gift bags [their selection is awesome!], basic cleaning products [sponges, rags, knock-off Swiffer wipes], cheap cups/plates/bowls for everyday use, scented closet hangers and water beads, and of course craft supplies! Be aware however that since everything is $1 you get charged sales tax on that dollar. If the item is less than $1 at another store, don't get it here.
  • Thrift Shops - Seriously, these hole-in-the-wall places often have vintage articles, neat decorating pieces, and unique items. It's also my go-to place for Halloween costume materials since I make all of mine. Wise up, Goodwill isn't as cheap as you'd think. Look for the Salvation Army and small Mom & Pop shops to get the good stuff for garage sale prices.
This costume came together from Goodwill, garage sales, and with the help of a little elbow grease.

I thrifted for these costume pieces and made the Bubba Gump Shrimp hat .
  • Garage Sales -  Not only have I found a 1980 Schwinn bicycle for $20, but I've also picked-up new riding boots, Christmas decorations, furniture, and plenty of good books. On the flip side, I enjoy having garage sales and using my earnings to find new pieces for my closet and decor.
Going at the end of the day to garage sales is wise. This bike was priced at $50 earlier in the day!
Before going into a store to purchase a groceries, gifts, or goods I do three things:
1. I open the Coupon Sherpa app on my iPhone to see if there are any deals at stores I'll be visiting.
2. Get online and print coupons for big ticket items
3. Collect any coupons I have handy from the newspaper to use at the grocery. 

I'm not a "super couponer" but the small savings of 10%-20% help too. 

Other ways to save cash?
  • AAA discounts save you 10% off of regular priced items at lots of places; including Target and Shoe Carnival!
  • Carry your college ID - some places love giving alumni or students a break.
  • Know days you can save - Goodwill for instance has different 'color' deals every day on their product tags.
  • Understand markdowns and final sale. Final sale items cannot be returned, but often times you can negotiate the price even lower if it's damaged. I bought a $50 collar necklace that was marked to $10 but talked it down to $2 since it was broken in two places. I came home and used a pair of pliers to tighten the loosened links and fixed it good as new!
Thanks for stopping by the Humble Hammock and looking around; do come back! 

Cara







No comments:

Post a Comment