background

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

DIY: Plant Stand Makeover

Thrifting is all about the hunt. Truth be told, I've spent a couple of years looking for a specific item. Sure, I could go purchase it new from a big box store or even look on eBay, but the reality is that the hunt is more exciting than finding the item. Sometimes I even find what I'm looking for and decide to be picky and pass that particular product over to find one in better shape. 

This spring I took my mom antiquing, or "teeking" as my grandmother calls it. It's something that we both enjoy and it's a good excuse to spend some quality time together. While out and about in some unchartered teeking territory, we came upon not only a humble little shop, but a honey hole of inexpensive and unique items.

The only find I'm going to blabber on about today is this $7 plant stand. It was handmade by some form of carpenter, who knows how long ago. I was immediately drawn to the size (which would pair well with a taller stand and a ground-level pot) and the fun shape.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that all this little gem needed was a fresh coat of paint and new home. Both are things that I happen to be able to provide.


I made quick stop in the paint aisle during my subsequent home store trip and picked up this $3 can of shiny gold paint. Then I zipped home and ran the grittiest sandpaper I could find over the stand.


Within ten minutes I took this stand from 1970 to 2016 and I couldn't be happier with the end result!


Thanks for stopping by the Humble Hammock! Be sure to follow this page or bookmark it in your browser for more great DIY inspiration later!

No comments:

Post a Comment